Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tinkerbell by Kimberly Coverly


Tinkerbell by Kimberly Coverly

How do you know, says the bright young princess,
That when I put on this gown they’ll believe
I am Tinkerbell and not just me?
That they will feel the magic when I wave?
Or feel their pulse rush as I go on by?

Will they realize I am only five,
Floating by, carried on your strong shoulders?
How do you know, says the girl, looking up,
That they will not know I am just a fake?
All of these kids will have their dreams flattened.

Will they know my wand is made of plastic,
My dress made of fabric sewn in China?
For I am not really Peter Pan’s sidekick,
I am just like them, here at Disneyland.
An average girl, here to see magic.

How do you know, she says with gleaming tears,
That they will not laugh when they see my hair
Is not blonde nor fit for a real princess?
Will they gawk at me when they see my shoes,
Not bedazzled with precious sparkling gems?

Will they wail to their parents when they see,
That I cannot sign their autograph books?
Will they see the falter when I fake wave?
My hands not yet strong enough to be good
At convincing these kids that I am real.

Should I trust that you will hold me up high?
Far away from their judgmental pointing?
Actually, I do not care what they think,
Because, in Walt’s Magical Kingdom,
I can be whoever I want to be.

 _________________________________________________________________________________

How do you by Kabir

How do you,
Asks the chief of police,
Patrol a city
Where the butcher shops
Are guarded by vultures;
Where bulls get pregnant,
Cows are barren,
And calves give milk
Three times a day;
Where mice are boatmen
And tomcats the boats
They row;
Where frogs keep snakes
As watchdogs,
And jackals
Go after lions?

Does anyone know
What I’m talking about?
Says Kabir.


No comments:

Post a Comment