Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sitting Up by Philip Pompetti


            I was sitting up in bed one morning,
it may or may not have been gray outside,
yet there was a warmth I had never felt,
permeating my room like a brazier
that might heat a king’s vast and jolly hall.

I immediately knew the source of
this heat as it resonated from my
right side, and like a blanket slowly pulled
itself over me to wrap around my
body almost a little too tightly.

The chill, the awful chill of the morning
outside my window soon meant nothing, no,
with this blanket like heat covering me
I was safe from the freeze yet to arrive.
For this I can only be so grateful.

As I slowly turned to face this great source
I thought it might be hard to look away,
So instead I moved to pull the source close
and was met with the prize of my good work
looking directly up into my eyes.

Never before have I seen such a sight,
and at that moment I knew that I must
force myself to look away from this thing.
yet this would be easier said than done
and I lost myself in that source’s heat.

Never to be seen again I wandered,
the journey ahead never very clear.
Still, it is a good kind of wandering,
A kind that’s only shared with another;
One that can warm your room like a brazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment