Sunday, April 14, 2013

Rain by Melissa Campana


Rain

Oh let love remain that little while, please.
Let the butterflies reign and the smiles take
To that form of which I beg of you, please.
Let her face echo so I can see it
Shining like the sequins on her gold dress.
Lying there peacefully, she looks alive!
More so, at least, than for the past six years.
This unexpected day had been coming
But let love remain that little while, please.
As it had with each push of the tire swing
For those moments just away from her grasp
Until I’d return again, so ready.
For another push to explore the sky
Just as she’d come home from the hospital,
Having made it through another session
Fighting with all of her combat soldiers
Those tiny army men, two inches tall
Scattered through the house helping her each day.
Coming home to her pale face made me fret,
That soon I’d come home a moment too late,
And she’d be gone with all the butterflies
And the elves living in our home garden.
Oh let love remain that little while, please
Let me dance with her where the flowers grow
And the trees tower over us in sun.
Our first picnic when I was eleven.
We had just moved to a town without rain
Constantly dumping down on us each day.
But it was then when we learned she was sick
And the rain would have been the best problem.
Grant only (and I ask of you no more),
To let love remain that little while, please.


Soon, O Ianthe! Life is O'er
Soon, O Ianthe! life is o’er,
         And sooner beauty’s heavenly smile:
Grant only (and I ask no more),
         Let love remain that little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment