Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Good Intentions by Ayla Rogers

Late Spring - W.S. Merwin

Coming into the high room again after years
after oceans and shadows of hills and the sounds of lies
after losses and feet on stairs

after looking and mistakes and forgetting
turning there thinking to find
no one except those I knew
finally I saw you
sitting in white
already waiting

you of whom I had heard
with my own ears since the beginning
for whom more than once
I had opened the door
believing you were not far

                                                                                                                                   


Good Intentions

I strive to see the best in our intent
You stand behind closed doors of your invent
Elaborate preparations pail when set
Against the ease with which at first we met
Despising lows, our hearts limb from limb rent

Do you remember being lost for words?
Have you forgotten the meaning you held,
So close it fit between the phrases heard?
Between the talk we learned how to confide
To swim with strength against the stagnant tide

Was it too much, or too sparse, the gift I gave?
Withhold my words, lest your affections fade
You’d wish me well at your greatest expense
But come too close, to retreat in defense

When new growth brought you back to me in March
We sought to quench the thirst from winter’s drought
But then come daybreak you were gone and left
Me with my tongue, my eyes, my daydreams parched

Turn my back on others, though you never
Bade me put such fervor in forever
If by late spring I’ve yet to hear your voice
New lover’s arms may leave me little choice

Cruel to blame you if I accept your vow
That what is real hides stealthily as now
But explanation comes too little, late
To save my thoughts this convoluted fate

I told you of my feelings, but for what?
If all our ties and bonds will soon be cut?
So braid up all the tassels and the fray
That we may craft a lasting knot one day



No comments:

Post a Comment