Wednesday, April 10, 2013

First Time by Adam Bishop (Memory Poem)


First Time by Adam Bishop

From what I had heard, it was addicting.
I didn't care then.  Care even less now.
“CAUSES LUNG CANCER,” the box yelled at me.
However, my brain was not listening.
Instead, I saw a friend, handing me death.

It was one of those lazy afternoons
Where old men only focus when told to.
This type of day was common that summer.
And as the night progressed, the sky became
A dynamic painting, mesmerizing
My eyes with the soft shades of its sunset.
Stars began to scatter across the dark
Showing off their bright, subtle arrangements.
Yet even with the colors and the stars,
This sunset was dwarfed by the great Blue Moon.
It almost seemed like it came from a
Classic cartoon, made out of sweet Swiss cheese.
As the Blue Moon sailed across the sea
I struggled to regain consciousness.

There was a sense of guilt in how I spoke
When my friend handed me the cigarette.
I felt like I had betrayed my past self.
Relatives, friends, teachers, and strange people
Have all advised me about one damn thing.
“Do not smoke,” they chanted in unison
As if my very existence was to
Obey this one fairly simple principle.

“Think for yourself; question authority.”
That’s what Timothy Leary has taught me.

I smoked, and lived on to tell the tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment