Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Case Studies in the Cultural and Political Uses of Popular Music by: Nicole Busch


Case Studies in the Cultural and Political Uses of Popular Music
By: Nicole Busch

Music was the sound system for the French,
planting seeds to lift the veil of evil
that hung on oppressed people like ganja.

The pit of pepper was a trap for deer.
Descent down the jagged pipe gave value
of a cent to postwar society.

Put on a suit of music and undo
A wasp sting of time, modesty has gone
Riding out on a steed of the future

Graveyards tend to hold like a socket seed,
caught in time.  Debris would crunch when stepped on,
like the first bite of cereal in the

morning.  The desire for cereal
would nag me when I first came alive in
the morning. It would stem from my stomach

and churn until I satisfied my need.
I can’t get a yard of satisfaction
which can only put me under pressure

To save this great city of rock and roll.
musty the sounds; enrich my stamina.
But how to undo what others tend to

defend from behind giant walls of stone.
hiding in a graveyard, trying to hold
onto time, to see what’s become of me

The sick will be cured; oppressed will be freed.
But how to send this message to the stoic mass:
Guns can take lives and guitars can save them

Music can start a small revolution
the revolution being like a game,
impacting culture, with great epic force.

No comments:

Post a Comment