Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bus Stop by Megan Windom

   The Singing by C. K. Williams
I was walking home down a hill near our house
on a balmy afternoon
under the blossoms
Of the pear trees that go flamboyantly mad here
every spring with
their burgeoning forth

When a young man turned in from a corner singing
no it was more of
a cadenced shouting
Most of which I couldn't catch I thought because
the young man was
black speaking black

It didn't matter I could tell he was making his
song up which pleased
me he was nice-looking
Husky dressed in some style of big pants obviously
full of himself
hence his lyrical flowing over

We went along in the same direction then he noticed
me there almost
beside him and "Big"
He shouted-sang "Big" and I thought how droll
to have my height
incorporated in his song

So I smiled but the face of the young man showed nothing
he looked
in fact pointedly away
And his song changed "I'm not a nice person"
he chanted "I'm not
I'm not a nice person"

No menace was meant I gathered no particular threat
but he did want
to be certain I knew
That if my smile implied I conceived of anything like concord
between us I should forget it

That's all nothing else happened his song became
indecipherable to
me again he arrived
Where he was going a house where a girl in braids
waited for him on
the porch that was all

No one saw no one heard all the unasked and
unanswered questions
were left where they were
It occurred to me to sing back "I'm not a nice
person either" but I
couldn't come up with a tune

Besides I wouldn't have meant it nor he have believed
it both of us
knew just where we were
In the duet we composed the equation we made
the conventions to
which we were condemned

Sometimes it feels even when no one is there that
someone something
is watching and listening
Someone to rectify redo remake this time again though
no one saw nor
heard no one was there 
                                                                                
 Bus Stop by Megan Windom

I was waiting at my nearest bus stop
on a cold and misty winter morning
with sleepy breathes of early commuters
hovering silently in front of them
The only sounds were the rushing of cars
and the slow shuffles of approaching feet

The oversized puddles that never left
constantly filled by heavy winter rains
had been covered by a thin skin of ice
and then broken by a rambunctious foot

Other than the breathes and shuffled movement
the gathering of individuals
waiting for a ride, revealed no intent
to recognize our shared experience

Liveliness invaded our somberness
a puppy was bounding against its leash
I stepped aside to make room as it passed
It moved between me and a nearby man
He wasn’t any older than myself
and I had seen him many times before

I thought he seemed nice, a real gentleman
always letting me on the bus first
giving me a pleasant smile as I said
“Thank you” while stepping into our transport

The puppy launched between us nipping at
the frosted morning air without reserve
Its pleasure resonated through the fog
so that for a brief moment my eyes met
the young man’s and he looked for an instant
as though he wished to say something to me
to capture some of the pup's abandon
and keep it for ourselves and our own use

But just as quickly he seemed to recall
that he did not know me, nor I know him
Unspoken pleasantries faded away
burned up by the sun that was trying hard
to lift the veil of fog that surrounded us

The bus pulled up with the old brakes screaming
and I knew coffee and work were waiting
at the other end of the route for me
and just like every other day, a group
of strangers boarded the bus together

No comments:

Post a Comment